[Dovecot] Replace Domainname in Mail Location

Manuel Schmidt manuel at schmidtman.de
Mon Dec 15 12:28:56 EET 2008

Hello,
I dont fully understand how the domain name replacement in mail_location
takes place.

If I connect to the server using my username as in the text file i can
not access my Maildirs as %d gets not replaced. If i user
username at domain.com the %d is correctly replaced.

But, how would i configure my mail_location, to take the domain part
from the server name i connect to? So i could set up my client to
connect to mydomain.com and have just my username set as login? I did
not find a variable that seems to be more correct than %d. So i guess i
have to configure that elsewehre? In userdb?

Here is my conf

# 1.1.1: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
protocols: imap
listen: 80.69.46.51:143
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_greeting: Druckbar! Imap ready.
verbose_proctitle: yes
first_valid_gid: 0
mail_privileged_group: mail
mail_uid: 1004
mail_gid: 1004
mail_location: maildir:/var/spool/vmail/%d/%n
imap_client_workarounds: delay-newmail netscape-eoh tb-extra-mailbox-sep
auth default:
 mechanisms: plain login
 verbose: yes
 debug: yes
 debug_passwords: yes
 passdb:
   driver: passwd-file
   args: scheme=plain-md5 username_format=%n /usr/local/etc/dovecot.pwd
 userdb:
   driver: passwd-file
   args: username_format=%n /usr/local/etc/dovecot.pwd
 socket:
   type: listen
   client:
     path: /var/spool/postfix/private/auth