[Dovecot] unkillable imap process(es) with high CPU-usage

Arno Wald arno.wald at netcologne.de
Mon Dec 15 13:00:33 EET 2008

A new status report regarding this issue:

Dovecot on my PC in the office is still running fine with kernel 2.6.26.

Dovecot with the latest kernel 2.6.27-9.slh.1-sidux-686 on my PC at home
did show the unkillable imap processes after a few minutes.

Now I am running dovecot compiled without inotify support on this kernel
without any problems for about 70 minutes.

So I really think that the inotify stuff in kernel 2.6.27 does make the
problem. (I will tell you if the imap process unexpectedly are making
problems again in the current configuration.).

So where are kernel issues reported? I will try to find out.

Greetings,
Arno