[Dovecot] Replication (Re: MySQL as a storage only.?)

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Tue Dec 23 19:38:35 EET 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> I've also planned easy replication support for Dovecot. Also I don't
> think doing the SQL replication correctly and without losing any data on
> error conditions is as easy as you think.

Multiple master in MySQL is still more of a hack. Also, performance for
billion-row SQL tables is rather poor for something interactive like
clicking on a message in IMAP and expecting it to pop up right away.

I'm looking forward to master-master replication. Not SQL though; I
can't find the link now but I remember reading about a master-master
system that Dovecot would use to sync maildir/dbox over N masters or
something. A pool of beefy master-master Dovecots with a load balancer
in front of them would be wonderful - I'm not too keen on the "user a
goes on server a, user b on server b" system. I'd love to help out but
my own development schedule is beyond full at the moment. =)

~Seth