[Dovecot] SQL field format for digest-md5?

Darren Pilgrim list_dovecot at bluerosetech.com
Wed Dec 24 22:58:15 EET 2008

I found (by reading the Dovecot source) that the correct format is
user:example.com:password, not user at example.com::password.

I've also narrowed down the problem a bit.  It seems there's a problem
using the DIGEST-MD5 mech.  The {DIGEST-MD5} scheme works just fine from
a SQL database.  With a {DIGEST-MD5} password the database, the PLAIN
mech works, but not the DIGEST-MD5 mech:

dovecot: auth(default): new auth connection: pid=69873
dovecot: auth(default): client in: AUTH     1       PLAIN  service=smtp
     nologin resp=<hidden>
dovecot: auth-worker(default): sql(brt.a at srv.twinthornes.com): query:
SELECT password FROM mailbox WHERE username =
'brt.a at srv.twinthornes.com' AND active=1
dovecot: auth(default): client out: OK      1
user=brt.a at srv.twinthornes.com

dovecot: auth(default): new auth connection: pid=69884
dovecot: auth(default): client in: AUTH     1       DIGEST-MD5
service=smtp    nologin
dovecot: auth(default): client out: CONT    1
cmVhbG09IiIsbm9uY2U9IktvVGpxbkNJaVEzcEMwYjVrMFY5Zmc9PSIscW9wPSJhdXRoIixjaGFyc2V0PSJ1dGYtOCIsYWxnb3JpdGhtPSJtZDUtc2VzcyI=
dovecot: auth(default): client in: CONT<hidden>
dovecot: auth-worker(default): sql(brt.a at srv.twinthornes.com): query:
SELECT password FROM mailbox WHERE username =
'brt.a at srv.twinthornes.com' AND active=1
dovecot: auth(default): digest-md5(brt.a at srv.twinthornes.com): password
mismatch
dovecot: auth(default): client out: FAIL    1
user=brt.a at srv.twinthornes.com