[Dovecot] automounting home dirs

Darren Pilgrim list_dovecot at bluerosetech.com
Sun Dec 28 19:25:17 EET 2008

Roger Hale wrote:
> I'm running dovecot-1.0.10 on a Solaris 10 server with home dirs
> automounted over NFS. I have set the mail_location configuration
> option so that nothing should be written to a user's home dir over
> NFS but, as far as I can tell, dovecot still by default tries to
> chdir to a user's home dir when reading mail, although this is not
> required. This creates additional unnecessary load on a
> heavily-loaded fileserver and generally slows everything down and
> creates an unnecessary dependency.
>
> Is there a way to prevent dovecot from causing the home dirs to be
> mounted?

You can override the home dir returned by your userdb with a
variable-expanded, "static" value by adding home to args[1].  You need
to be careful and make sure that Dovecot doesn't use anything in the
users' home dirs.  You may need to set mail_location and/or mail and
create a virtual home-dir tree local to the Dovecot server.

Posting `dovecot -n` output would help.

1: http://wiki.dovecot.org/UserDatabase