[Dovecot] Password field limitations

Tom Sommer mail at tomsommer.dk
Mon Dec 29 09:41:41 EET 2008

mouss wrote:
> Charles Marcus a écrit :

>>> I Use MySQL and I don't have such kind of limitations.
>>>
>>> I would blame Tom's MySQL interface or implementation, but not MySQL itself.
>>>
>> I certainly didn't intend to mean it was a Mysql limitation in general -
>> I'm using it too for my user/password backend, and have all of these
>> characters available in passwords:
>>
>> `~!@#$%^&*()_-+={}|[]:;<>?,.
>>
>> More than likely it is a system library or charset issue, or something
>> like that...
>>

> that would be really surprising. I am most inclined to think that the
> password change is done via a (buggy) web interface or a buggy script.
> or maybe it is a PEBCAK?

I did some tests and it appears the limitations presented by the
customer in regards to invalid characters, are indeed not reproducible.

I'll see if I can find a reproducible case with the 8 char length
password, because I have indeed seen this before myself, but it might be
related to the hashing algorithm used (The guy who originally made the
interface decided it was smart to hash all passwords using
OLD_PASSWORD() in MySQL, so I'm stuck with that for now).

Sorry for the noise.

PS. My interface is fine though, thank you.
--
Tom