[Dovecot] corrupted index?

Gary Funck gary at intrepid.com
Sat Feb 2 21:08:04 EET 2008

On 02/02/08 12:27:14, Ronald MacDonald wrote:
> On 02/02/2008, Gary Funck <gary at intrepid.com> wrote:
> > Corrupted index cache file
> > /home/user/mail/.index/.imap/INBOX/dovecot.index.cache:
> > invalid record size
>

> First of all, being NFS, I presume the system does not support
> locking. Might it be an idea to check that the user isn't using two
> clients at the same time? I found that this became a problem over NFS
> when a user was using both a webmail interface and a standard client
> eg Thunderbird on the same account.

The user is using two clients (Live Mail(tm) and Apple Mail, IIRC),
and might have them both running on different computers.  His mailbox
is also 380 Megs., fyi.

Regarding NFS, although /home is exported via NFS, it
is a local ext3 partition on the server where dovecot is
running, and dovecot runs only on that server.  Mail is
delivered locally to /home/$user/mail/inbox via sendmail+procmail.
Reading the wiki, this sort of configuration shouldn't cause locking
problems.

> Where does Dovecot put the INDEX? My problem disappeared as soon as I
> set INDEX=MEMORY.

Hmmm, didn't know about that option, but see it described here:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation
Does this mean that as long as the dovecot server is long-running
that it will cache indexes into local memory?  Or is the index
kept in memory only for the per-client connection?