[Dovecot] location of .subscriptions

Jochen dlfkcf at gmx.net
Tue Feb 5 15:50:58 EET 2008

Hello Timo,

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 12:47:08PM +0200, you wrote:

> The .subscriptions file goes to the mbox root directory. This can't be
> changed with mboxes.

If I have a few central shared IMAP folders in mbox format, how could
I manage the subscriptions problem? Here it is quite usual that
several users subscribes to one or more of these folders. If the
.subscriptions file goes to the root directory of those shared folders
only the first user will be able to subscribe to these folders.

> With maildir you could specify a different directory with
> :CONTROL=path.

O.k., is it possible to convert just the shared folders to Maildir
leaving the user mailboxes in mbox format for now? That may be a
workaround. I think the subscriptions file should be stored relative
to user's $HOME.

> With v1.1 there's a new subscriptions=no namespace setting. Then you can
> specify that you have all users' subscriptions in only the private
> namespace.

Great. But v1.1 does not compile in our good old mailserver. :-(
gcc 2.91 (please, no comment on this...).
Perhaps it is possible to compile a statically linked dovecot on one
of our newer machines?