[Dovecot] Convert plugin question

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Feb 5 18:39:55 EET 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 10:50 -0500, Dmitry Filonov wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 15:00 -0500, Dmitry Filonov wrote:
> >

> >> Is it possible to change convert plugin, so it would keep old
> >> UIDVALIDITY and UIDNEXT after conversion from mbox to Maildir?
> >>

> > It would also have to preserve all messages' UIDs. This is something
> > that has been in my TODO for a while, but it would require pretty large
> > changes so it hasn't been done yet.
> >
> > Maildir -> dbox migration can preserve UIDs though. :)
> >

> Why this require large changes? Isn't it only about creating
> dovecot-uidlist on migration?

That would be one way to do it. But then the conversion must not create
dovecot.index* files or they'll contain different UIDs. And I'd rather
implement it in a generic way that allows migration from any mailbox
format to another, even maildir -> mbox.

> What about mbox->dbox migration? Does it preserve UIDs?

No. dbox was designed so that an existing maildir could be quickly
migrated to dbox. In that case dbox will use the existing maildir files
as they are, only new mails (or modified mails) are really migrated to
the proper dbox format.