[Dovecot] LDA postfix + deliver, problem lookup, accepting email for everyone, fixed

Sylvain Viart sylvain.viart at easyrencontre.com
Wed Feb 6 17:27:06 EET 2008

Hi,
>>> I'm setting up dovecot pop3 deamon for a small set of mailbox.
>>>
>>> I want to be able to set a small set of mailbox simply, so I've used
>>> "passdb passwd-file" + virtual mailboxes with "userdb static".
>>> My problem is that it seems that postfix accept and create mailbox for
>>> every address I post. It is configured to use local delivery through
>>> dovecot's deliver.  .
>>>
> dovecot --version
> 1.0.10
>
> I've followed documentation at
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/SimpleVirtualInstall + LDA
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Postfix
I've restarted all from scratch follow the link above, it works!
I don't know exactly where is was buggy...

I've:

dovecot.conf
# Remove pop3 things if you don't want them
protocols = pop3

# It's nice to have separate log files for Dovecot. You could do this
# by changing syslog configuration also, but this is easier.
log_path = /var/log/dovecot/dovecot.log
info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot/dovecot-info.log

# Disable SSL for now.
ssl_disable = yes
disable_plaintext_auth = no

# We're using Maildir format
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir

# If you're using POP3, you'll need this:
pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv

# Optimizations:
dotlock_use_excl=yes
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks=yes

# Authentication configuration:
auth_verbose = yes

auth default {
  mechanisms = plain
  passdb passwd-file {
    args = /etc/dovecot/passwd
  }
  userdb static {
    args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/var/vmail/%u
  }
  socket listen {
    # Note that we're setting a master socket. SMTP AUTH for Postfix and
Exim uses client sockets.
    master {
      path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
      # Auth master socket can be used to look up userdb information for
      # given usernames. This probably isn't very sensitive information
      # for most systems, but still try to restrict the socket access if
possible.
      mode = 0600
      user = vmail # User running deliver
      #group = mail # Or alternatively mode 0660 + deliver user in this
group
    }
  }
}
# needed or deliver will fail with :
#Feb  6 16:06:31 postfix/pipe[21394]: 50D7B130069:
to=<jane at elsewhere.org>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.13,
delays=0.08/0/0/0.04, dsn=5.3.5, status=bounced (local configuration error)

protocol lda {
  postmaster_address = postmaster at example.com
}

part of the /etc/postfix/main.cf

dovecot_destination_recipient_limit = 1
virtual_mailbox_domains = example.com, elsewhere.org
virtual_transport = dovecot
# uid=1003(vmail) gid=1003(vmail) groups=1003(vmail)
virtual_uid_maps  = static:1003
virtual_gid_maps  = static:1003

log file :
/var/log/dovecot# ls -l
total 8
-rw-rw---- 1 vmail vmail 317 2008-02-06 16:12 dovecot-info.log
-rw-rw---- 1 vmail vmail   1 2008-02-06 16:11 dovecot.log

/var/vmail# ls -l
total 8
drwx------ 3 vmail vmail 4096 2008-02-06 16:12 dave at example.com
drwx------ 3 vmail vmail 4096 2008-02-06 16:10 jane at elsewhere.org

/etc/dovecot# cat passwd
timo at example.com:{PLAIN}hello123
dave at example.com:{PLAIN}world234
joe at elsewhere.org:{PLAIN}whee
jane at elsewhere.org:{PLAIN}mypass

a bounce :

                   The mail system

<dave2 at example.com>: user unknown

Also in the log:
/etc/dovecot# less /var/log/dovecot/dovecot-info.log

dovecot: Feb 06 16:11:30 Info: auth(default):
passwd-file(smutrz at example.com): unknown user
deliver(dave at example.com): Feb 06 16:12:05 Info:
msgid=<20080206151205.8FC1D130069>: saved mail to INB
OX
dovecot: Feb 06 16:12:09 Info: auth(default):
passwd-file(dave2 at example.com): unknown user