[Dovecot] location of .subscriptions

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 6 22:37:26 EET 2008

On Feb 6, 2008, at 10:33 PM, Jochen wrote:

> Hello Timo,
>
> On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 09:39:33PM +0200, you wrote:
>
>> Or did you create the maildir directories as "aatest" and not
>> ".aatest"? The dot is required.
>
> Hey. That was the problem. Sorry for the confusion. I think I have to
> read the Maildir specification a second time.

It's a Maildir++ thing.

> dovecot tries to create directories (at least "cur") just below the
> location:
> location = maildir:/var/spool/imap/shared

This is kind of a bug, but too big of a change for v1.0. It's already
been fixed in v1.1.

> Btw: Which permissions are required for read-only shared Maildir
> boxes? Dovecot itself runs under root account but it seems that the
> children changes to the user, which is actually logged in?

http://wiki.dovecot.org/UserIds explains this a bit. So the mail
user(s) need to have read-permissions to the maildir. Write permission
isn't needed if you don't want users to be able to change flags and if
you've set per-user index and control dirs.