[Dovecot] Can't get apop to work.

Greg Lorriman midnighttoadstool at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 07:32:14 EET 2008

Hi Folks,

  I'm fairly new to linux so this message may reflect that.

  dovecot info (running on CentOS 5.0):

protocols: pop3s
listen:
ssl_cert_file: /etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key_file: /etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
login_dir: /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
mail_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir: /usr/local/lib/dovecot/pop3
pop3_uidl_format: %v.%u
auth default:
  debug: yes
  debug_passwords: yes
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb:
    driver: passwd

  If I select apop as one of the allowed protocols (in order to avoid having to use ssl) I get this error message in the mail log :

  "APOP mechanism can't be supported with given passdbs"

  I tried fiddling with PAM by adding an /etc/pam.d/apop file with these contents :

  auth required pam_unix.so nullok
  account required pam_unix.so

  makes no difference, in anycase as much reading as I;ve done to understand PAM I still have not much clue: the docs are quite obscure.

  My /etc/pam.d/dovecot file looks like this :

  #%PAM-1.0
  auth required pam_nologin.so
  auth include system-auth
  account include system-auth
  session include system-auth

  At this point I seem to be out of options. I've been through the docs, and trawled the internet.

  Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

  Thanks,

  Greg