[Dovecot] Can't get apop to work.

Greg Lorriman midnighttoadstool at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 15:20:04 EET 2008

> I tried fiddling with PAM by adding an /etc/pam.d/apop file with these contents :

It's impossible to support anything but plaintext authentication with
PAM. See http://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication/Mechanisms and
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication/PasswordSchemes

  I'm not overly worried about PAM; I just want to get APOP working. But the wiki doesn't give me even the faintest idea, keeping in mind that I am relatively new to linux. The same applies to all the other authentication schemes. It only tells me how to change the conf file, which doesn't appear to be enough.

  Obviously I am missing something here. But I don't know what.