[Dovecot] backup strategy

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 7 21:35:53 EET 2008

Quoting Steve Lindemann <steve at marmot.org>:

> curious... I've been using dump for decades (unix and linux) without
> any problems on mounted filesystems.

Well, any known/observed problems...

> Anyone with half an ounce of common sense will use due caution
> backing up "live" data, regardless of the tool used, and will prefer
> to work with umounted filesystems when possible, but it isn't an
> imperative, nor always practical.

Only if you want a good backup of the data...   Okay, I will admit that
I sometimes do backups with dump on live filesystems also...  But
I know what I'm doing, and why...

But again, this is getting off topic... So enough about this...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!