[Dovecot] Expected size of index-files?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Feb 8 18:47:51 EET 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 17:40 +0100, Luuk wrote:
> the 'du -s *', now looks like this:
> 31M     cur
> 4.0K    new
> 7.2M    old
> 3.7M    old2
> 2.2M    old3
> 4.0K    tmp
>
> and there is a big difference between the 'thunderbird-indexes' and the
> 'outlookexpress-indexes'
> and an even bigger if you look at my 'old'-indexes....

Dovecot v1.0 is a bit lazy in dropping unused fields. For example if you
used a client once it would cache those new fields that the client was
interested in. But it would keep them cached even if you never used that
client again. v1.1 drops these fields after a month of them not being
used.

Also the cached fields are marked as "permanent" or "temporary". With
temporary fields the cache data is dropped for messages older than a
week (or the rule is a bit more complex). So for these OE/TB type
clients which fetch the field only once it should get dropped from cache
from wasting space. There could be some bugs in here that cause fields
to be permanent or fields not being dropped often enough. v1.1 has fixed
some of these I think.