[Dovecot] Dovecot auth-master socket as postfix table lookup source.

Uldis Pakuls neko at it4u.lv
Mon Feb 11 19:02:06 EET 2008

Hi all.

Intro: Timo has already done great job providing patch which allows
postfix to authenticate directly against dovecot (included in latest
postfix sorce code/release).

Now I'm looking around for one more thing.  I want to use dovecot's
user db as source for postfix lookup tables.
In particular: virtual_mailbox_maps

Main reason is - postfix access rules and fighting against spam. This
will allow to look up dovecot dovecot's user-db and check status of user.
If user not exist mail is rejected at SMTP protocol level (instead of
accepting mail and later getting bounce for dovecot's deliver).
Rules I use looks like: smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
permit_sasl_authenticated, permit_auth_destination, reject
Of course I can write simple script which duplicates dovect's user-db
information in format usable by postfix's postmap (this is way in all
may mail systems works now).
What I want is implement lookups directly against dovecot. Such table
can be used for postfix virtual deliver too.

It seems implement Dovecot authentication protocol for use in postfix
table lookup mechanism is relative easy.  Also there is no need to patch
complete postfix source code. Postfix allow to create pugins (external
dynamically loadable libraries) for such task. recent postfix source
code already includes such plugins for mysql, ldap etc..

My question is - my be some one has already made such  plugin or my be
someone is interested to cooperate in such job. [my be Timo itsef?:))]

Uldis