[Dovecot] mailbox not acceced

Benjamin R. Haskell dovecot at benizi.com
Mon Feb 11 21:34:35 EET 2008

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008, Osvaldo Alvarez Pozo wrote:

> Hi
> did another test if I run from the console
> mysql postfix -e "update mailbox set last_log = now() WHERE username
> = 'info at lab.fr'"
> the field last_log gets updated.
> but no way to make it work from /etc/dovecot.dovecot.conf

Sounds like a permissions problem. Put something like the following in a
file readable only by root, which is what the PostLogin script runs as
unless you've configured it to drop privileges before it runs:

$ cat foo.mysql
# MySQL connection data
[client]
user=someone
password=whatever

Then, change the line to:

mysql --defaults-file=foo.mysql postfix -e "update ..."

I also think that $USER is the variable you want, not $UID. UID = user ID,
which is usually numeric. But, dovecot sets USER to something useful
(IIRC, it depends on what variables you use elsewhere in your config as to
whether it includes the domain.).

Best,
Ben