[Dovecot] Deleting messages from MailDir

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Thu Feb 14 17:56:48 EET 2008

On Thursday, February 14 at 09:50 AM, quoth Bill Cole:
>> I'm curious: do you have examples of mail software that doesn't use
>> the timestamp? (I could see some run-once script not doing it, but
>> I'd be surprised if widely-used software didn't.)
>
> The procmailrc man page says that MSGPREFIX defaults to 'msg.' but it is
> not clear to me whether MSGPREFIX is used for Maildir delivery or just for
> MH delivery. I've played it safe and use "MSGPREFIX=`date +%s`" but maybe
> that's not needed...

MSGPREFIX is only used if procmail is delivering to a directory that
hasn't been indicated as either an MH folder or a Maildir by a suffix.
In other words, if you tell it to deliver to "foo/", it'll use the
official maildir methodology. If you tell it to deliver to "foo/.",
it'll use the official MH methodology. If you tell it to deliver to
"foo", and foo happens to be a directory, then it'll use MSGPREFIX. If
you tell it to deliver to "foo" and foo is a file, then it'll use an
mbox methodology.

~Kyle
--
They think I'm crazy, and maybe I am. But maybe I'm a genius.
                                                          -- Mel Gibson