[Dovecot] PAM libraries not found

Jan van den Berg jan.vandenberg at isp.solcon.nl
Fri Feb 15 12:31:41 EET 2008

When I add the --with-pam option in my configure command I get the
following error:

checking for pam_start in -lpam... no

configure: error: Can't build with PAM support: libpam not found

PAM is most certainly installed on the  machine:

ii  libpam-modules                    0.79-5
Pluggable Authentication Modules for PAM

ii  libpam-runtime                    0.79-5
Runtime support for the PAM library

ii  libpam0g                          0.79-5
Pluggable Authentication Modules library

Dovecot from package worked just fine with PAM. Also this file already
exists:

cat /etc/pam.d/dovecot

#%PAM-1.0

@include common-auth

@include common-account

@include common-session

I have run ldconfig etc. And I have the following files (all in /lib):

/lib/libpamc.so.0

/lib/libpamc.so.0.79

/lib/libpam_misc.so.0

/lib/libpam_misc.so.0.79

/lib/libpam.so.0

/lib/libpam.so.0.79

So it seems that configure is not checking the right places for the
libpam library? How can I tell it to look in /lib?

Also what does (auto) mean (--with-pam (auto)): it's confusing. It gives
the impression that, like (default), this option is added
'automatically'.

Cheers,

Jan