[Dovecot] Dovecot pgsqlauthentication database reconnection/failover problem

Frank Wang yafrank at 126.com
Sat Feb 16 15:46:49 EET 2008

Hi,
    Our mail system uses dovecot-1.0-1.2.rc15.el5 in Centos-5.1 as our imap
server. It connects to a pgsql database in another server as authentication
backend. It works fine except occasionally fails to reconnect to the database
after temporary network block, and dovecot has to be restarted to work again
in such case. Since I can't find any specific setting in dovecot.conf to
handle this reconnection problem, I opt to build a failover pgsql backend.
Google led me to
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2008-January/027899.html.  I followed the
thread to modify my dovecot-sql.conf containing "connect = host=pgsql1
host=pgsql2 dbname=xxxx user=xxxx"
   If both databases are available, dovecot will choose pgsql2 as the default
one, and user login works flawlessly. But when I block all traffic to host
pgsql2, dovecot will repeatedly try pgsql2 and neglect available host pgsql1.
   I don't find relevent information in the dovecot wiki either. Can anyone
here shed a light on me?
    Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Frank Wang