[Dovecot] dovecot 1.0.10

Tim Judd tjudd2k at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 19:03:36 EET 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get dovecot to authenticate against LDAP.  And it's a
first time to run both dovecot (at all) and OpenLDAP (at all).
Versions are below.

Dovecot: 1.0.10
OpenLDAP 2.3.40

Dovecot cannot bind to the dn.  This may be due to the fact that all
google-able documentation doesn't give good examples or anyhting to
hint.  I'd prefer to use the rootdn by slapd.conf, but if I have to use
a entry in the LDAP database, I will do that.

I've tried the rootdn, password, overriding password with the same hash
as in the slapd.conf via {SSHA} and nothing works.  I then tried to
create a uid (and dn) within the LDAP database, and it can't bind to
that either.

Long story short,

I would very much appreciate a working example with OpenLDAP v2.3x and
Dovecot 1.0x, on a FreeBSD 6.x host.  If it makes any difference (I
don't think it does), the mailserver is going to be located within a
jail, which has given some problems to some software that are looking
for a specific /dev entry or being able to customize that entry
(permissions, links, etc).

Thank you all for excellent software, and I really hope I can get this
working.  I'd like to point the finger at dovecot not being able to
read userPassword but since no debugging information can be extracted,
I have to assume.

A working example as I have asked for above would probably help me
alot.

thanks!

--Tim

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
"I can" is a way of life.
More and Bigger is not always Better.
The road to success is always uphill.