[Dovecot] Scheduled folder purging

Bruce Bodger bbodger at bodcon.com
Mon Feb 18 22:46:12 EET 2008

On Feb 18, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:

>>> It would be a nice feature in Dovecot to have it be able to
>>> remove messages older than say 3 days from Trash automatically.
>>
>> V 1.1 already can (see Expire plug-in), but I'm not sure if this
>> only happens at use3r log in or not...
>>
>> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Expire
>
> Said I: (in the thread "Deleting messages from MailDir")
>>> Does the expunge plugin work without the user logging in, though?
>
> Timo responded:
>> Yes. That's exactly what it does. It keeps user/mailbox <->
>> oldest_msg mapping in a Berkeley DB. In a nightly (or whatever)
>> run it then uses the database to open only those mailboxes that
>> have messages to be expunged.

Excuse me but somebody, maybe me?, is confusing the expire plugin
with the lazy_expunge plugin.  From reading the fine documentation,
it appears that...

1. There is no expunge plugin, only a lazy_expunge plugin
2. The lazy_expunge plugin runs "by itself" but requires a nightly
cron job if you want to delete old mail.
3. There is an expire plugin which I believe the original poster was
asking about
4. The expire plugin requires a nightly cron job to call /usr/libexec/
dovecot/expire-tool to do its thing

B. Bodger
New York, NY