[Dovecot] Passwordless Login Auth

JL lists at jorge.cc
Tue Feb 19 00:24:14 EET 2008

I have Dovecot 1.0.5 running imaps successfully with Postfix on
Ubuntu.  Authorization is by SASL.  Currently, my mail client (mutt)
requests a password to access my folders.

I would like to configure Dovecot so that a user logged into the
localhost (i.e., already authenticated) does not receive the password
prompt.  Remote logins should of course demand the authentication, but
if I'm logged into the server via SSH, for example, I'd like to be
able to run mutt without the password prompt.  Is this a viable
proposition?

Here is a relevant snippet from dovecot.conf:

auth default {
     mechanisms = plain login
     passdb pam {
		}