[Dovecot] procmail deliver and envelope-to

mouss mouss at netoyen.net
Wed Feb 20 22:57:32 EET 2008

Klaus Ethgen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> first of all, please reply private as I am not subscribed to the list.
> But if this question takes to much traffic I can subscribe.

the problem with non members is that some server in the path may discard
or bounce our mail, and they won't get it.

> My problem is that I have to use procmail (as it can call external
> programs) which finally calls deliver. My main rules are sieve and they
> work find except that I cannot use subaddress matching in envelope to
> (not envelope send which has been addressed earlier). But As I use the
> '+'-Feature the envelope to will be the one interesting for me.
>
> For example, I am subscribed to the mailing list gimp-devel with
> klaus+gdev at ethgen.de. So I want to use:
>    require ["fileinto", "imapflags", "subaddress", "envelope"];
>    if envelope :detail :is "To" "gdev"
>    {
>       fileinto "Mailinglisten.gimp-devel";
>       stop;
>    }

why not use a header specific to the list instead of your address? I
mean something like:

if header :contains "List-Id" "<gimp-developer.lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU>" {
         fileinto "Mailinglisten.gimp-devel";
         stop;
}

This is independent on your address. so if you ever change the
subscribed address, you won't need to change the rule. and if other
users on your system need a similar processing, they can copy the rule.