[Dovecot] procmail deliver and envelope-to

mouss mouss at netoyen.net
Thu Feb 21 01:55:12 EET 2008

Klaus Ethgen wrote:
> Hi mouss,
>
> Am Mi den 20. Feb 2008 um 21:57 schrieb mouss:
> >> first of all, please reply private as I am not subscribed to the list.
> >> But if this question takes to much traffic I can subscribe.
> > the problem with non members is that some server in the path may
> discard or
> > bounce our mail, and they won't get it.
>
> I cannot follow completely. What is the difference if the mail is
> manually approved than that the people is member of the list?

the problem is not posting to the list. As long as you get the CC, it's
ok. I only meant that it is possible that you don't receive an offlist
message, for example because some server or gateway on your side uses a
blocklist or play "discard me" games. I've already got bounces in such
cases (when I post via my home ISP) and this doesn't get me in a good
mood:)

> [snip]
>
> Ah, that's true for well formed mailing lists like made with mailman or
> majordomo. But there are many mailing lists out in the wild where you
> have no other change than the "plussed" address to select them out. (The
> example might be unclear as the gimp-devel list is well formed.

then you'll need to find such an example :)

The following seems to work for every list I've seen (by order of my
personal preferences):

- List-Id
- List-Post
- List-Owner