[Dovecot] Maildir Subsystems

Aaron Wiebe epiphani at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 00:34:11 EET 2008

Hey Timo, thanks for the quick response...

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

>  src/lib-storage/index/maildir/ has all the maildir specific code. In
>  v1.1 the mailbox listing is separated from mailbox storage handling to
>  src/lib-storage/list/. A lot of code is common between all mailbox
>  backends though.
>
>  Quota is implemented as a plugin in src/plugins/quota/ and src/plugins/
>  imap-quota/.

I realize I'm probably not looking deep enough, but after a quick scan of how
you lay out the different backends, I thought it might be easier for
us to actually
just implement our own backend rather than modifying the existing maildir
implementation.  I'd provide more details, but for legal reasons, I can't (yet).

Is there a rough document of the abstraction between the backends that I could
read, or can you provide an overview of that layer - or point me in
the right direction?

>  Dovecot v1.1 handles NFS a lot better than v1.0 and I'd suggest not
>  bothering with v1.0 anymore if you use NFS.

Righto, I'll stick to concentrating on 1.1.

>  1) Call Courier migration script (http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration/Courier
>  ) from post-login script (http://wiki.dovecot.org/PostLoginScripting)
>  for the user logging in.
>  2) Stop Courier