[Dovecot] Follow-up re: gcc 2.96 - Re: PATCH: compile dovecot-1.1.beta14 with gcc 2.95

Thu Feb 28 00:03:16 EET 2008

On 2/27/2008, Kevin A. McGrail (kmcgrail at pccc.com) wrote:
> Well, for me, it's a vast number of boxes deployed and often
> maintained by others that are running stabling for 8+ years making
> the nuance of upgrading to a newer version of GCC fairly mute from a
> lay persons perspective. Seriously, how can you argue with a
> non-technical user that their box installed in 2001 has a "problem"
> when everything is working "fine"?
>
> Plus it annoys Timo and that's just an extra bonus ;-)

All kidding and joking aside... this is pure laziness on the part of the
sys admin, nothing more. IF you find this remark offensive, then you
must be guilty.

The 'client' shouldn't even be involved in such a decision... if you are
responsible for a box, it is your responsibility to make sure it is
secure - and how can you trust ANYTHING on that box if you are using a
broken/buggy compiler?

--

Best regards,

Charles