[Dovecot] EXPUNGE delay

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Feb 29 11:36:02 EET 2008

On Feb 28, 2008, at 11:53 PM, Eugene wrote:

Is it possible that Outlook uses two connections? First one does:

> IMAP: 00:46:56 [tx] 0yc9 UID STORE 172903 +FLAGS.SILENT (\Deleted
> \Seen)
> IMAP: 00:46:56 [rx] 0yc9 OK Store completed.

The second one does:

> IMAP: 00:46:58 [tx] 623w EXPUNGE
> IMAP: 00:46:58 [rx] * 102 FETCH (FLAGS (\Deleted \Seen))
> IMAP: 00:46:58 [rx] 623w OK Expunge completed.

This happens because the session hasn't yet seen the flag change. Only
after EXPUNGE is finished it syncs the mailbox and notices the new
\Deleted flag. At that point the EXPUNGE handling is already finished,
so nothing happens.

So I guess the question is if Dovecot should first synchronize the
mailbox and only then perform EXPUNGE. This is allowed by IMAP, but it
would require Dovecot to do two mailbox synchronizations for each
EXPUNGE. I'd rather not do that but maybe Outlook is big enough user
that it should be changed...