[Dovecot] What's the difference between mbox and maildir

Gunter Ohrner G.Ohrner at post.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Jan 1 11:16:47 EET 2008

Am Dienstag, 1. Januar 2008 schrieb Andrew Falanga:
> .imap/.imap/   (other than directories)

Where did you see this directory?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox

> maildir

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maildir

You usually use either mbox or maildir to store mails for all users.
Mixing both format, ie. storing you mails in mboxes for some of your
users and maildirs for other users is seldom recommended from what I
know, but it's also possible.

> INBOX  (I think I have  this one)

This is a dedicated mailbox (either mbox or maildir, depending on what
you're using) which receives new incoming mails. In some setups which use
maildirs to store the messages, the inbox is the only mailbox which is
stored in mbox format.

I hope my explanations are not too far out.

Greetings and a Happy New Year to everyone,

  Gunter