[Dovecot] Redundant timers

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jan 2 02:24:58 EET 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 23:52 +0100, Anders wrote:
> Attached is a patch with the work I did on this the other night. Would
> something like that be acceptable, or should I make it in a different
> way?

v1.0 will stay as it is, but something like this could still be done for
v1.1.

I just changed today auth failure handling code to drop the timeout when
there are no failed requests
(http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot/rev/958500009336).

As for the setup_timeout() thing, I think most of that logic should be
in src/lib/. Instead of having one idle timeout, add a struct timeout to
all clients and add a new timeout_reset() API to reset it whenever
receiving input. The current timeout handling code is a bit inefficient
with lots of timers though, so that probably needs a redesign as well.

> There seems to be no one-shot timer support, right?

Right. There hasn't really been a need for it.

> Is there a Dovecot coding style document? (I did notice that there
> appears to be an 80 char width that I exceeded)

I should write one some day, but I think it's pretty close to Linux
kernel's coding style. And yes, there's a 80 char width limit.