[Dovecot] Upgrading a live running dovecot - how?

Daniel Watts d at nielwatts.com
Wed Jan 2 14:27:21 EET 2008

Hi Guys,

This has bitten us twice now. We're running Gentoo and emerge (ie
compile) a new version of Dovecot thinking we can finish that then
restart Dovecot in our own time.

It seems that Dovecot immediately starts to use the newly compiled
Dovecot binary and we get version mismatch errors preventing access.

Would be good if Dovecot behaved in such a way that it kept on using the
old version (held in memory) until it was restarted where it then loaded
the new version.

Dan