[Dovecot] Homedir permissions problems with LDAP

"Fábio M. Catunda" catunda at contactnet.com.br
Thu Jan 3 20:54:37 EET 2008

Sorry, my previous message entered like a reply, so I'm sending again to
keep the list in order.

Hi,

I'm using dovecot 1.0.5-1 (debian stable) and I'm trying to build a
virtual host machine with ldap.

In my dovecot-ldap.conf thats what I have:

uris = ldap://<ldapserver>/
dn = cn=Manager, dc=domain, dc=com, dc=br
dnpass = <ultra secret passwd>
sasl_bind = no
tls = no
ldap_version = 3
base = ou=Users, dc=domain, dc=com, dc=br
deref = never
scope = subtree
user_attrs = homeDirectory=homeDirectory
user_filter = (&(mail=%u))
pass_attrs = mail=user,userPassword=password
pass_filter = (&(mail=%u))
default_pass_scheme = CRYPT
user_global_uid = 107
user_global_gid = 109

But I don't want to read homeDirectory from LDAP, so I have the
following in dovecot.conf
mail_location = maildir:/var/virtual/%d/%n/

The question is when I try to log into imap I receive the following error:

dovecot: 2008-01-03 10:03:55 Error: IMAP(magalhaes at fmcs.com.br):
mkdir(/HOME_DIRECTORY_USED_BUT_NOT_GIVEN_BY_USERDB/expunged/cur) failed:
Permission denied
dovecot: 2008-01-03 10:03:55 Error: IMAP(magalhaes at fmcs.com.br):
mkdir(/HOME_DIRECTORY_USED_BUT_NOT_GIVEN_BY_USERDB/deleted/cur) failed:
Permission denied
dovecot: 2008-01-03 10:03:55 Error: IMAP(magalhaes at fmcs.com.br):
mkdir(/HOME_DIRECTORY_USED_BUT_NOT_GIVEN_BY_USERDB/deleted/expunged/cur)
failed: Permission denied

(I'm using lazy_expunge too)

I can log in and etc, but this is strange for me, why do I receive this
Permission denied message?

The directory /var/virtual/<domain>/<user>/ is owned by uid 107 and gid
109, so, i believe thats ok.

My homedir in ldap is /home/samba/<user> , so I changed tried to chown
107:109 too but I still get this error.

Is there a way for me to know what is the full path that dovecot is
trying to use?  HOME_DIRECTORY_USED_BUT_NOT_GIVEN_BY_USERDB is no
helping me too much!

Oh, I imagine that my lazy_expunge conf may be helpfull:

namespace private {
 prefix = .EXPUNGED/
 separator = /
 location = maildir:~/expunged