[Dovecot] help using sendmail LDA

Jim Horner jhorner at arinbe.com
Sat Jan 5 06:40:58 EET 2008

> auth default:
>   verbose: yes
>   debug: yes
>   passdb:
>     driver: ldap
>     args: /usr/local/dovecot/etc/dovecot-ldap.conf
>   userdb:
>     driver: static
>     args: uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/var/mail/apps/%d/%n

This probably goes back to your other questions. I believe deliver uses the
userdb stanzas (at least that is what I documented in my dovecot.conf).

Here is my working setup...

... dovecot.conf ...

  passdb ldap {
    args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap-domains.conf
  }

  userdb prefetch {
  }

  # LDA requires the userdb stanzas

  userdb ldap {
    args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap-domains.conf
  }

... dovecot-ldap-domains.conf ...

# User attributes are given in LDAP-name=dovecot-internal-name list. The
# internal names are:
#  home: Home directory
#  mail: MAIL environment
#  system_user: System user name (for getting user's groups from /etc/group)
#    - For virtual users you don't want to use this, so this defaults to none.
#  uid: System user ID
#  gid: System group ID
user_attrs = mailMessageStore=home,mail=system_user,,

# If you wish to avoid two LDAP lookups (passdb + userdb), you can use
# userdb prefetch instead of userdb ldap in dovecot.conf. In that case you'll
# also have to include user_attrs in pass_attrs field prefixed with "userdb_"
# string. For example:

pass_attrs =
mail=user,userPassword=password,mail=system_user,mail=userdb_user,mail=userdb_system_user,mailMessageStore=userdb_home,,

# You can use same UID and GID for all user accounts if you really want to.
# If the UID/GID is still found from LDAP reply, it overrides these values.
user_global_uid = 1500
user_global_gid = 1500