[Dovecot] help using sendmail LDA

Jim Horner jhorner at arinbe.com
Sat Jan 5 07:48:10 EET 2008

On Saturday 05 January 2008 00:06:21 Anil wrote:
> How does sendmail work when configured like this?
>
> # grep Mlocal /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
> Mlocal,         P=/usr/lib/mail.local, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qPSXmnz9,
> S=EnvFromSMTP/HdrFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL,

My basic test is to run the following:

cat /etc/hosts | sudo /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver -d jhorner at arinbe.com

If that doesn't work then dovecot configuration isn't right.

There is a sendmail wiki page:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sendmail

I can't help with sendmail all that much... I use postfix and call deliver
like:

dovecot unix    -       n       n       -       -   pipe
  flags=DOR user=vuser:vuser argv=/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver -d
${user}@${nexthop} -n -m ${extension}

and permissions on deliver set to run deliver as root.

-rwsr-x--- 1 root vuser deliver