[Dovecot] v1.1.beta13 released

Bruce Bodger bbodger at bodcon.com
Sat Jan 5 23:08:24 EET 2008

On Dec 29, 2007, at 5:09 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> http://dovecot.org/releases/1.1/beta/dovecot-1.1.beta13.tar.gz
> http://dovecot.org/releases/1.1/beta/dovecot-1.1.beta13.tar.gz.sig

Timo,

This week I switched from v1.0.10 to v1.1.beta13.  I'm using OS X
10.4.11.  Had no compile or installation problems.  I have discovered
what I think is an undocumented change in behavior between the two
versions regarding public namespaces.

I have used a public name space for many months which gives all users
access to a public SPAM and HAM mailbox.  Every few hours spamassasin
runs against the mailboxes and does whatever reporting is needed.
The namespaces are defined in dovecot.conf like so:

##  NAMESPACES
namespace public {
  separator = /
  prefix = Public/
location =  maildir:/var/mail/shared:CONTROL=~/Maildir/control/
public:INDEX=~/Maildir/index/public
  }
namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix =
   inbox = yes
}
##

G518X2:~/Maildir/index/public root# ls -la
total 0
drwx------   5 bb  admin  170 Sep  9 07:06 .
drwx------   3 bb  admin  102 Jul 28 22:38 ..
drwx------   5 bb  admin  170 Dec 17 06:10 .HAM
drwx------   3 bb  admin  102 Jan  3 18:02 .INBOX
drwx------   5 bb  admin  170 Jan  5 13:52 .SPAM

Since the upgrade dovecot insists on creating an inbox in the public
space even though the conf notes state, "There can be only one INBOX,
and this setting defines which namespace has it."  Clearly the
private namespace has the inbox defined. Attempts to delete
the .INBOX from a mail client results in an error:  "Inbox can't be
deleted".  Any ideas?

B. Bodger