[Dovecot] What would you tell the CIO in an "ABCs of Email" overview?

Esther Schindler esther at bitranch.com
Mon Jan 7 23:29:15 EET 2008

And finally, part 2 is published too!

Let me know if I made any boo-boos.

ABC: An Introduction to E-Mail Technology
E-mail works so quickly and well that its complexity is hidden from end
users. That's a good thing. But IT managers should know the very basics
of how an e-mail message gets from sender to recipient, and what can
delay or prevent its arrival. Read this introduction to the technology
basics and e-mail protocols.
http://www.cio.com/article/169700

Esther Schindler
senior online editor, CIO.com

P.S. I suspect you'd like your management and users to understand this
stuff, so that you don't have to explain it over and over. So if you'd
be so kind as to nudge it up on digg.com (
http://digg.com/software/What_Makes_E_mail_Tick ) or slashdot (
http://slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=view&id=454656 )? I wouldn't mind
at all.