[Dovecot] Please help me resolve why mail isn't being delivered to virtual users

Andrew Falanga af300wsm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 06:18:51 EET 2008

Hi,

I have to admit that I'm not quite sure why no one has responded to me about
this one.  If I'm not providing enough information or incorrect information
please tell me.  It's quite important that this e-mail system be working.

I do not quite understand what it is that I'm missing now.  I have the need to
setup and configure various users as virtual users.  To this end, I've
configured them so that their home directories are "/virtusers/<userid>" and
their INBOXes are "/var/mail/<userid>."

I have created a system user ID called "vmail" which is referenced in my
PostgreSQL database for UID/GID stuff.  All virtual user home directories and
INBOXes are made owner "vmail" and group is "users."

Originally, I had my sendmail "/etc/mail/aliases" file setup to "map" all mail
sent to these virtual users to the system user "vmail."  However, none of the
virtual users were getting any mail and vmail was just getting swamped.
After doing more digging, I found that I just didn't understand the home
directories and INBOX, mbox and such.  That's what drove me to configuring
what's in there now.

Now, following directions on this WIKI page:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sendmail?highlight=%28deliver%29 I'm still unable
to get the e-mail working for them.  Continually, sendmail bails with errors
saying it, "Can't create output."  Because I am using *.mc files, I made a
new *.m4 file as directed in /usr/share/sendmail/cf/mailer.

Dovecot does allow the virtual users to login.  In fact, when I did, the first
time, there appears a "mail" directory in their home directories after login.
This would indicate to me that the login was successful.  Further, I
cut/pasted a message sent to one of the virtual users from the vmail INBOX
(/var/mail/vmail) into the virtual user's INBOX (/var/mail/jdunkin).  Then,
logged in as this virtual user and ACTUALLY got the mail.  I know this stuff
works.  What must be done to make sendmail do its thing for deliver?

What is necessary to fix this situation?

Andy