[Dovecot] Please help me resolve why mail isn't being delivered to virtual users

Gerard gerard at seibercom.net
Wed Jan 9 22:06:15 EET 2008

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 11:46:45 -0800 (PST)
Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org> wrote:

[snip]

> "One thought is to to give e-mail accounts to church members who want
> them" - that's easy, just run the system adduser command!
>
> In my opinion, fiddling with virtual users is not usually worth the
> effort.  (Now, if you have HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of users on one
> machine, then let's talk!)
>
> Basically - the above is a reason to use 'adduser', not a reason to
> use virtual users!  If I'm wrong, please clarify my understanding.

I really disagree. While I am not familiar with the OP's system, using
virtual users with Postfix and Dovecot is really rather trivial once
you understand the concept. I would never add a user to a system
unless that user actually needed access to the system. It just makes
security that much easier and safer. From what I gleam from the OP's
post, he simply wants to give members of the group email access.

> > Ok, I will try that ASAP.  I don't think that I'll get to it
> > tonight (in fact, I'm sorry for taking so long to respond to this
> > but I couldn't take a free minute at work today to respond).  Also,
> > since they're working now, at least through POP, the pressure is
> > off.  However, in the near future, I need to get IMAP and SSL
> > working.
>
> Dovecot IMAP just works (tm) if you use system users, for IMAP and
> POP3 SSL and everything else wonderful.  Why fiddle with virtual
> users when real users are just as good and easier to set up?

Once the virtual framework is in place, adding new users is trivial. In
fact, using something like PostfixAdmin can even simplify the entire
process.

--

Gerard
gerard at seibercom.net