[Dovecot] Please help me resolve why mail isn't being delivered to virtual users

Andrew Falanga af300wsm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 01:02:51 EET 2008

On Jan 9, 2008 3:24 PM, Pascal Volk <user+dovecot at localhost.localdomain.org>
wrote:

> Am 09.01.2008 22:51 schrieb Asheesh Laroia:
> >
> > As they say, I have been schooled. (-:
> >
> > My apologies - I wasn't aware of these "virtual user with a UID" setups.
> > I was only aware of the "virtual users all share a UID" setup like the
>
> What should I say? The Dovecot wiki <http://wiki.dovecot.org/> is very
> informative. :-)

Very informative yes, but at the same time it seems to make the same mistake
all people make when writing documentation.  There are many assumptions made
that a lot of fundamental knowledge of how mail works is known to the
reader.  For example, the term "mbox" is simply used.  It's not really
described anywhere (admittedly, that I could find) what mbox is.  It took
much looking, and in fact one respondent to my question, a week ago, about
what mbox and MAILDIR were, didn't respond with a dovecot wiki page but
instead a wikipedia page.  This really shouldn't be.  This is only meant as
constructive criticism, I'm not trying to be condemning here.

Andy