[Dovecot] Logging to stderr

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 10 06:12:46 EET 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 21:27 +0530, Abhijit Hoskeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having a bit of a problem with logging to stderr.
>
> I am trying to run dovecot as sort of "inetd" install using daemontools.
> I have daemontools 'services' named dovecot-pop3, dovecot-imap, etc.
>
> The service command line looks like
>
> tcpsvd -c20 -v -l 0 0 110 /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3-login [--ssl]
>
> In dovecot/dovecot.conf, the log_path is set to /dev/stderr.
>
> What seems to be happening is that all the log lines (regardless of
> service) go to the log file of which ever service was first used.
>
> Exactly how are these logs written? Is it possible to (easily) make
> the login process write to its own stderr?

The first pop3-login starts dovecot master process, which then logs to
the stderr it was given. All other non-pop3/imap-login processes then
write their logs via dovecot master.

So if you'd want each session to log to the stderr that was initiated by
login process.. It's just not possible without a lot of coding.