[Dovecot] Please help me resolve why mail isn't being delivered to virtual users

Thu Jan 10 14:28:23 EET 2008

Andrew Falanga, on 1/9/2008 6:02 PM, said the following:
>> What should I say? The Dovecot wiki <http://wiki.dovecot.org/> is very
>> informative. :-)

> Very informative yes, but at the same time it seems to make the same mistake
> all people make when writing documentation.  There are many assumptions made
> that a lot of fundamental knowledge of how mail works is known to the
> reader.  For example, the term "mbox" is simply used.  It's not really
> described anywhere (admittedly, that I could find) what mbox is.  It took
> much looking, and in fact one respondent to my question, a week ago, about
> what mbox and MAILDIR were, didn't respond with a dovecot wiki page but
> instead a wikipedia page.  This really shouldn't be.  This is only meant as
> constructive criticism, I'm not trying to be condemning here.

No offense, but that is just plain dumb. Have you ever heard of google?
It took me all of 10 seconds to find more articles about these two
formats than I could read in a week.

Anyone who is setting up a mail server that doesn't at least have a
BASIC understanding of the BASIC things that mail servers deal with
maybe shouldn't be administering a mail server? Or should at LEAST spend
a few weeks LEARNING the basics on their own.

According to your argument, maybe I should complain that Timo didn't
define the word 'is' on every page he wrote?

--

Best regards,

Charles