[Dovecot] do not lose mail when dovecot is dead

Daniel leva at az.isten.hu
Thu Jan 10 19:53:22 EET 2008

On Thursday 10 January 2008 05:24:01 Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 21:50 +0100, Daniel wrote:
> > Recently I've experienced problems with dovecot. Dovecot died
> > silently, what means is that there are no core files, nor any
> > indication in the log files, just the "kevent(): Invalid argument"
> > messages.
>
> Any of them begin with "Fatal: "? Why is it giving kevent() errors
> anyway? Those shouldn't happen.
Yes, this is all I get in the error log, and then dovecot dies silently.
It won't produce a core file, or any indication of dying in the log
file. Btw, I'm using OpenBSD 4.2, and kqueue.

> > deliver(leva): Can't connect to auth server
> > at /var/run/dovecot/auth-master: Connection refused
> > postfix/pipe[8582]: 8A1C6F261: to=<leva at domain.hu>, orig_to=<id>,
> > relay=dovecot-lda, delay=1.7, delays=1.1/0/0/0
> > .68, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via dovecot-lda service)
> > postfix/qmgr[29441]: 8A1C6F261: removed
> >
> > See? Postfix removed it from the queue, so basically all bets are
> > off, and everything depends on deliver, but it just dropped the
> > message. Is there anything that can be done regarding this issue?
>
> Are you using some pre-v1.0.0 release? With v1.0.10 it seems to work
> correctly:
I'm updating dovecot with hg from HEAD.

> % echo foo|./deliver -d user
>
> deliver(user): Jan 10 06:20:47 Error: Can't connect to auth server
> at /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/auth-master: No such file or directory

Maybe my auth-master file remains there, but deliver couldn't connect to
it, because dovecot has died. I guess the socket stayed there because
dovecot couldn't clean up after itself in this case. Am I wrong (just
guessing leastways...)?