[Dovecot] [OT] Webmail Recommendation

Chris Wakelin c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
Fri Jan 11 14:27:24 EET 2008

Mike Brudenell wrote:
> Whatever you do, DON'T move to Maildir if you are using the Prayer
> webmail software!
>
> We have used Prayer here for many years with the UW IMAP server backend
> and first Berkeley, then later MBX, format mail folders.
>
> When we migrated new users to Dovecoe with Maildir folders we discovered
> that Prayer does NOT like Maildir folders.  The reason is that Maildir
> folders are "dual-purpose": each can contain any mix of messages and
> sub-folders.  However Prayer is intrinsically designed to ONLY work with
> folders that can contain messages or subfolders, but NOT both.  The
> result is that Prayer can show you the list of folders to navigate
> around, but will not list any messages within any folder.

I had to hack Prayer to cope with users we'd migrated to
<cough>Exchange</cough> that were being proxied through Dovecot so that
they didn't need to change their mail client settings. (Exchange was
marking folders as "HASNOCHILDREN" rather than "HASNOINFERIORS" and
would put a trailing "/" on a non-selectable directory.)

I'm not sure whether it would be Dovecot or Prayer I'd modify to deal
with Maildirs!

Chris

--
Christopher Wakelin,                           c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
IT Services Centre, The University of Reading,  Tel: +44 (0)118 378 8439
Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 2AF, UK              Fax: +44 (0)118 975 3094