[Dovecot] Webmail Recommendation

Udo Rader udo.rader at bestsolution.at
Fri Jan 11 19:20:56 EET 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 11:59 -0500, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 1/10/2008, Robert Tomanek (dovecot at mail.robert.tomanek.org) wrote:
> >  I can confirm RoundCube ( http://www.roundcube.net/ ) is a good
> >  recommendation.
>
> Can you confirm that it uses persistent IMAP connections? I can't tell
> from the website or searching the mail archives or forum...

We have been testing roundcube for couple of weeks now and although it
is simple, fast and "reasonably" structured internally, it is still too
buggy for us (eg. problems with special characters in mails) or lacks
important features (eg. like import/export functionality for address
books) for a large scale deployment.

And we don't see persistent IMAP connections, but, as Chris noted
already, it stores quite lot of meta information into its MySQL
database, which reduces the burden on dovecot but again increases the
burden on MySQL ...

We are also testing the webinterface that eGroupWare [1] provides and
are very impressed by its completeness (sieve integration, message
filters and much more).

[1] http://www.egroupware.org

--
Udo Rader