[Dovecot] Dovecot-imap, tls, gnus

Richard G Riley rileyrgdev at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 11 20:17:18 EET 2008

Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> writes:

>   [dovecot closing connections to gnus, making gnus fail to exit group]
>
> I use gnus and I think that the closed connection happens to me once in
> a while.  gnus just reopens it - I'm running the head of Gnus CVS.  So
> this feels like a gnus bug.

I don't think so - in that its not a "bug" that it doesn't poll IMAP. It
seems to me that dovecot drops the connection through lack of
activity. I add this to my .gnus.el and all is now good.

(require 'gnus-demon)
(setq gnus-use-demon t)
(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-group-get-new-news 10 0)
(gnus-demon-init)

Nicer would be for gnus to simply redo the TLS if it can't
connect when entering or leaving a group ... that way no need for
relatively expensive automatic polling.