[Dovecot] Please help me resolve why mail isn't being delivered to virtual users

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Jan 12 04:43:59 EET 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 11:43 -0700, Andrew Falanga wrote:
> Unfortunately, I used as an example, mbox and MAILDIR to make my point.
> Perhaps this was a bad choice because I felt this same frustration in
> reading other areas of the wiki.  It wasn't that the information was bad, or
> unusable.  I just had questions about how it all fit together for dovecot,
> and couldn't find the answers on the dovecot site.  I don't think it's
> unreasonable to ask that a particular software program explain how it's
> pieces fit together, or how it (the software program) is supposed to work
> with other pieces it makes use of but doesn't directly control.

I think there are two problems with the wiki:

1) There's no clear beginning and ending as in a book. The mbox and
maildir terms are explained in wiki, but you just didn't notice those
pages. If it had been a book, they would have been in the first few
chapters, and you probably would have noticed them.

2) Although there is http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailServerOverview it still
doesn't explain everything. Also it could probably use a couple of
headlines in the middle to make it easier to read. So explaining more
about how things fit together would be useful, but I'm not sure where I
should write about that or even what exactly I should write about.

Maybe a separate DovecotOverview page that tries to explain what parts
Dovecot consists of and what different ways there are to set up a new
mail server..