[Dovecot] file system permissions

Anil replicase at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 04:37:27 EET 2008

I am using Maildir and virtual domains.

I have the following definitions in the dovecot.conf:
mail_uid = 10000
mail_gid = 10000
mail_location = maildir:/var/mail/apps/%d/%n/Maildir

Userdb database is LDAP based. Some users in LDAP might have a uid/gid
defined. If thats the case, I want dovecot to use those uid/gid. If
the user in LDAP does not have a uid/gid attribute, it'll fall back to
using mail_uid/mail_gid as defined above.

(atleast thats what I am hoping to do...)

I set the permissions of /var/mail/apps, /var/mail/apps/%d directories 1777.

I also see the following error message when a message is received to
one of the users:
Jan 13 18:33:33 vds5 deliver(admin at domain.com): [ID 702911 mail.error]
stat(/var/mail/apps/domain.com/admin/Maildir/tmp) failed: Permission
denied

The permissions of this tmp directory are:
drwx------   2 vmail    vmail          2 Jan 13 18:31 tmp

Why is deliver having problems writing to that? At this point, what
uid is deliver running as?

Thanks!