[Dovecot] Master vs Client socket?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jan 20 17:18:14 EET 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 07:02 -0800, Marc Perkel wrote:
> I'm somewhat confused. I need to use a master socket for the dovecot lda
> but I also need to have a client socket for authenticating through Exim
> for outgoing smtp. The auth section doesn't allow for two sockets. How
> do I do this?

dovecot-example.conf has this:

  #socket listen {
    #master {
      # Master socket provides access to userdb information. It's typically
      # used to give Dovecot's local delivery agent access to userdb so it
      # can find mailbox locations.
      #path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
      #mode = 0600
      # Default user/group is the one who started dovecot-auth (root)
      #user =
      #group =
    #}
    #client {
      # The client socket is generally safe to export to everyone. Typical use
      # is to export it to your SMTP server so it can do SMTP AUTH lookups
      # using it.
      #path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-client
      #mode = 0660
    #}