[Dovecot] Problem with quota support on debian etch

Sascha Bendix scrubb at localroot.de
Tue Jan 22 00:01:32 EET 2008

Hi,

sorry but I'm new to dovecot and this list and don't know how to proceed
with my dovecot installation. I was trying to set up an Mailserver with
Postfix, Dovecot and PostgreSQL. Everything was working fine till I
wanted to integrate quota support. When I activate it by adding quota
to the the imap plugin section (like described in the wiki) I get the
following error every time I try to login:

Jan 20 19:32:07 kauket dovecot: IMAP(user at dmain.de): Unknown quota
backend: quota=maildir
Jan 20 19:32:07 kauket dovecot: child 11288 (imap) returned error 89
Jan 20 19:32:07 kauket dovecot: imap-login: Login:user=<user at domain.de>,
method=plain, rip=::ffff:1.2.3.4, lip=::ffff:1.2.3.5, TLS

I tried to set quota = maildir:storage=10240 in the plugin section, too
and got the same error.

I already talked to some dovecot users bot nobody could help me and I
hope you can give me an advice what could be the mistake.

Here is my Config:

# /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
protocols: imaps
listen: [::]
ssl_cert_file: /etc/ssl/certs/kauket.maedness.de.crt
ssl_key_file: /etc/ssl/certs/kauket.maedness.de.key
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_user: dovecot-auth
mail_extra_groups: mail
mail_location: maildir:/var/mail/%h
mail_plugins: quota imap_quota
auth default:
  user: dovecot
  passdb:
    driver: sql
    args: /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  userdb:
    driver: sql
    args: /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf

# grep -ve '^[ ]*#' -e '^$' dovecot-sql.conf
driver = pgsql
connect = host=localhost dbname=postfix user=postfix password=password
default_pass_scheme = MD5
password_query = SELECT password FROM mailbox WHERE username = '%u'
user_query = SELECT maildir, 10000 AS uid, 8 AS gid,
quota=maildir:storage=' || quota AS quota, maildir AS home FROM mailbox
WHERE username = '%u'

The system is a debian stable (etch) with package version
1.0.rc15-2etch1 and dovecot --version tells 1.0.rc15.

I know the this version of dovecot is a little bit ancient but I hope
you can still help me. I even don't know if it's only a bug in the
package or if it's a bug in dovecot itself.

I thank you for all clues and advices.

Sincerly yours,

Sascha