[Dovecot] New server error

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 24 19:14:01 EET 2008

I'm setting up a replacement mail server on a CentOS 5.1 box.  The dovecot
version is 1.0.rc15.  'dovecot -n' returns

# /etc/dovecot.conf
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
mail_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
auth default:
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb:
    driver: passwd

I can telnet localhost 143 and log in.

I have given kmail the address of the server and an Inbox has been created,
but no option to create sub-folders.  If I attempt to send a message kmail
freezes.  Clearly something's wrong.

I am using configuration files from the old server, modified only to the new
server details.  I have alias and transport hashes.  What else should I be
looking at?

Thanks

Anne